I have tried to be conservative in my calculations and have used the latest grid electricity CO2 emissions figures for calculating the amount of CO2 emissions my driving will generate.
- My electric car is over 400% more energy efficient than my diesel car was.
- I will have reduced my CO2 emissions from driving by over 25% per year
- I have reduced my fuel cost by over 70% or £2,800 per year
- If all private cars in the UK were to go electric by 2040 we would need 2 new large nuclear facilities or 16 new large wind farms at a cost of £20 - 30 billion to power them all.
- I drive over three times further than the average UK driver in a year.
We could all start driving electric cars, but we better get some new power stations under way and quick. £20 - 30 billion is only 2.5 - 3.5 % of the annual budget.
All the calculations used can be found in my Google Docs Spreadsheet